Sunday, February 8, 2015

Week 4



I wish I could come up with more imaginative titles. But as it is, numbering the weeks will have to do! This week, LDA went to see "The Changeling" at the Globe (in another playhouse, not the actual globe.) It was a thrill to walk across Millennium bridge at night and admire the Globe all lit up. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the production itself because we were standing after a long day of classes for nearly three hours, could only see a sliver of the stage, and the language that I heard (after giving up trying to crane my neck every which way to see the action) was confusing. The playhouse itself is a beautiful space, but curiously built-because it is said that these plays are meant to be heard as well as seen. I don't think you can apply this concept as easily to a modern audience. Bless the words, but I want to observe more than just the language of the play. I couldn't observe the direction or even much of the acting...in any case, it happened, and now I know more about what I don't like. Good or bad, the experience is valuable. I am currently reading a play for one of my classes here, "Space, Place, and Text" by the same author (Thomas Middleton/and Thomas Dekker) called "The Roaring Girl." So far, I'm in love with it. The production must have been insanely good, but they did it this time last year. Shame. 

As far as progress in classes go, I think that I am doing well and keeping up in all-Space, Place, & Text with Varsha is the most "academic" of all my classes, so I've been trying to apply myself more in that module. I am really thankful for my Alexander teacher, Dee, who-apart from giving the best back rubs-has opened my eyes to my bad habits. Alexander technique can not only help with performance, but with general health-so it is assuring to realize that I am working on my craft as well as my health. Voice was also a breakthrough this week, when our tutor-Simon-gave us an exercise sheet to increase our vocal/breathing capacities. I am slowly starting to recognize the fullness of my voice, its ability to expand, once it has been properly prepared. 

We are continuing our object exercises in Acting with Aoife-which teaches me a lot about the importance of concentrating on the moment, and focusing like a laser beam on one's objective. Shakespeare with Yolanda is always great fun, because not only is she brilliant, but also adamant on working through physical gestures. I find her methods to be incredibly helpful, in the last class, we divided our monologues into beats (or switches, as I think of them) and paired different but relevant gestures to each beat (of thought). At the end, we are to dance our entire monologue before speaking the speech. She is focused on teaching us how to internalize these grand gestures we create, so that speaking "normally" will have the same intensity of intention as speaking with these gestures. Ingenious. 

I am starting to build a repertoire of monologues in my audition seminar, which is fantastic-because I need to start preparing for senior showcase now...and reading all of these new plays and learning this new material will help the process. Sure, I am tired most of the time-but always thankful that I get to go to these classes, see these shows, explore this city. I have learned more about what I like and don't like in terms of theatre, (by "like" I mean-what I would also like to produce, what is important for the times we live in today-in my opinion.) I have also had conversations with fellow students, about race in theatre, film, and society, about the thirst for success in our field, the narrowness of such success, the pitfalls of fame, the power of our craft-goes to show some young people do have hope for change and the minds to go with it. To pursue theatre in earnest, to believe in it, is that courage or lunacy? Someone said that she does not think one term could exist without the other. I really hope she is right. Because I am still questioning myself every morning. 

And then, the next day, Kathy Pogson (director of the program) sent out an email to all of us, starting off with "Dear Bravehearts..." 

It's like she knows. On to pictures... 


Visited Oxford with friends this past Saturday :)

most definitely squealed in delight when I saw this staircase, used in the Harry Potter movies. 

Oxford is lovely. A bit sleepy, but very charming. Here I am at Christ Church! 


peaceful moments walking down High Street.

all for now, will take my camera to campus tomorrow for pictures/videos! 

ta, darlings, 

M. Ang 








No comments:

Post a Comment